Global Taxi Driver – Open Rehearsal Community Event & Fundraiser
- WHEN: Saturday August 9 @ 2 p.m.
- WHAT: Open rehearsal and post-show reception
- WHERE: David Henry Hwang Theater, 120 N Judge John Aiso Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- TICKETS are Pay-What-You-Can, $20 suggested donation / $5 minimum
- For more information: email email@example.com / call 310-998-8765
Inspired by the real life experiences of Somali drivers, Vietnam vets, artists and more, Global Taxi Driver reveals a little known slice of the city and a view of the world—from behind the wheel of a cab.
Director/Playwright Leilani Chan and TeAda Ensemble members Ova Saopeng and Shyamala Moorty, have teamed up with artists from the Twin Cities Nicole M. Smith, Ifrah Mansour, and Saymoukda Vongsay and LA artists Blake Williams and Isaac Cruz to gather stories of Taxi Drivers from around the globe. Throughout the world, taxi driving is a gateway profession for immigrants, often taken on by people who were once farmers, soldiers, doctors or lawyers. With the growth of ridesharing taxi alternatives threatening this occupation for immigrants, these stories become more even more urgent to tell.
Come see this work-in-progress before it premieres at Intermedia Arts in Minneapolis. Be a part of this creative journey and give us your feedback after the open rehearsal.
- September 12-21, 2014 – World Premiere @ Intermedia Arts, Minneapolis
- April 2015 – Los Angeles Premiere